Tuesday 23 April 2013

4KCBWDAY2 - a Mascot project

For this year's annual blog week, I chose to be in the Manatee House.

Half a manatee's day is spent sleeping in the water, surfacing for air regularly at intervals no greater than 20 minutes. Manatees spend most of the rest of the time grazing in shallow waters at depths of 1–2 metres.

Imagine if I could be a crocheting manatee.  Instead of sleeping, I would be crocheting, and when I have to come up for air, I would have a cup of tea! Now that sounds like a good life.

Manatees are large, fully aquatic, mostly herbivorous animals sometimes known as sea cows. They measure up to 13 feet (4.0 m) long, weigh as much as 1,300 pounds (590 kg) and have paddle-like flippers.

So they are BIG! If I think of big, soft crochet projects, first thing that comes to mind is a large blanket. I have done a few of those, and I love to do them

blankets for grandchildren:


 A blanket for my son-in-law:

More grandchildren:

One for my daughter (yes, I actually knitted this one!)


And one for my son.  This one was probably the biggest project so far.  A huge queen size granny square.  Loved it!


I went on google (I really love to google things), and found the cutest little crochet manatees. Aren't they adorable? You can find the link here
Crochet Manatee Kit

1 comment:

  1. So 'n besige vrou! Jou komberse lyk pragtig. Ek begin ook hekel want ek moet 'n beginner klas in hekel doen in Mei. Ek het myself die "basics" geleer maar ek wil ook meer bevorderd daarmee raak. Wat is jou beste wol met hekel (worsted weight)? Hopelik kan ek binnekort my hekel projekte op my blog sit. Ek het soveel breiprojekte dat dit moeilik is om albei te doen. Ek kyk altyd uit vir jou blog om te sien wat jy gemaak het. Ek hou van die blommetjies ook. Partykeer wil ek net sit en iets klein en maklik doen en dan brei ek ook blommetjies.
    Liefde
    Toetie

    ReplyDelete